Living La Viudez Loca

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

My lady in red (or whatever color[s] she chose to wear)

Today's Recent Widower Review comes courtesy of Chris De Bergh22¾

I've never seen you looking so lovely as you did tonight
I've never seen you shine so bright
Every day she grew lovelier in my eyes.
I've never seen so many men ask you if you wanted to dance
They're looking for a little romance, given half a chance
I might have a few objections to that.
And I have never seen that dress you're wearing
Or the highlights in your hair that catch your eyes,
Then again, my wife was a prolific shopper, although there were several pieces of clothing (but only one dress) that I don't ever recall seeing her wear, some with tags still on them.  As the three packages of men's dress socks and three tubes of shower body wash that I found unopened further demonstrate, she always seemed to be buying items to use for later but then never got around to using them.  Furthermore, she wasn't much of a dress wearer, because I only found the one aforementioned dress.
I have been blind
But then again, we all seem to be in our own little ways.  I'm no exception to that.
The lady in red...
I haven't really come across much of her clothing that is red.  She did have a pair of pink pajamas and two (actually four, but two of them were quite small and designed to be worn with their respective piece among the other two and thus I wouldn't consider them separate) other garments that I would call sleepwear except however often I may have seen her wear them to bed, I don't recall her actually getting to sleep in them.
...is dancing with me, cheek to cheek
If we ever danced together, I don't recall it.  It doesn't seem to be an activity that she enjoyed.
There's nobody here, it's just you and me
And sometimes one or two of three grandsons, one daughter, or one sister living with us, if I remember correctly.  Although I think the total time would be less than a year.  Also, she went to visit various family frequently, so sometimes it wasn't even just her and me.
It's where I want to be
Always and forever, love of my life.
but I hardly know this beauty by my side
Maybe I should have asked more, but she didn't seem to like revealing much of her past life before she met me.
I'll never forget the way you look tonight
Sometimes such visions haunt me, sometimes they comfort me, and sometimes they do both.
I've never seen you looking so gorgeous as you did tonight
I've never seen you shine so bright, you were amazing
I've never seen so many people want to be there by your side
And now we're back to a slight variation of the first few lines.  Although she was amazing.  Nor would I mind people wanting to be by her side (well, depending on the reason) like I would men wanting to dance with her while looking for romance.
And when you turned to me and smiled, it took my breath away
And I have never had such a feeling
Such a feeling of complete and utter love, as I do tonight
... and every other night.  The rest is mostly chorus and repetition until the last line, so I'll just skip to that:
I love you
 I can't think of anything to add to that.

22¾ 1Piece of trivia I did not know until today: it was written by Paul McCartney and John Lennon. I doubt either of them recorded a version of the song.  Since the version I am most familiar with is the one by Chris De Bergh, I'll go with that.
1I figured it's my blog, so why be boring and predictable all the time by starting footnotes with "1"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating in this discussion!