Living La Viudez Loca

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Getting so much (or at least somewhat) better all (or at least some of) the time

Then again, I suppose it depends on what's getting better.  Physically, I feel good... like I knew that I would now.  Ok, maybe "know" is a bit strong considering how I have been feeling the past few days due to the heat.  However, at the moment, whether it's because it's early morning and it hasn't heated up yet, the temperature has cooled a little, or maybe my figuring out that the fan has a high1 setting for a reason, I seem to have a bit more energy.  Oh, great.  Just as I finish writing that, my eyes don't want to stay open.  After these messages, I'll be right back.
So... did you miss me?  Of course you did.  But let's return to our feature discussion and turn to how I have been dealing with my wife's death.  That remains virtually unchanged: long periods of coping followed by gut-wrenching moments of one thing or another reminding me of her.  Even events as innocuous as buying a rotisserie chicken (the focal point of many of meal since moving to Los Angeles) become an opportunity for such an attack, as if going to or arriving at one of the bus stops near our home or shopping at the pharmacy that filled her prescriptions or the other stores and restaurants in the same plaza didn't provide enough.  Yet from the very fields of familiarity where grow such weeds of sorrow also sprout forth the soothing herbs of tender memories.  Perhaps time can teach me how to better tend the latter while eliminating the other.
Such a confusing state of affairs also describes the song under review for today: the Beatles' "Getting Better", which at one point claim "It's getting better since you've been mine" and then turn around and state "I used to be cruel to my woman I beat her/ And kept her apart from the things that she loved".  I don't know, maybe it refers to different women, his current significant other followed by a former flame.  Otherwise, the combination is quite disturbing, to say the least.  Not that this isn't the other Beatles' song that has puzzled me.  For example, the solution offered by "We Can Work it Out" can be summed up as "... but only if we do it my way (since 'Only time will tell/ If I am right or I am wrong') rather than your way ('There's a chance that we might/ Fall apart before too long.')".  Furthermore, I can't find much in the song that I can relate to, since I didn't have many problems with school itself (the only time I served detention was when someone stole my gym uniform and I got in trouble not for not having one, but not reporting it in what the teacher felt was a reasonable amount of time.  Go figure.) and, contrary to any loaded questions I may or may not be asked, I didn't beat my wife.  So I don't see any point in going into a lengthy review.


1 No, silly, not that kind of high.  I can find problems aplenty without any "help".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating in this discussion!