Living La Viudez Loca

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Suffering from PWRD

I don't know how prevalent Phantom Wedding Ring Disorder1 or even if anyone other than myself suffers from it.  I do, however, know that in my case that is altogether too real.  After growing accustomed to almost sixteen years of brushing my thumb against my wedding ring to check that it was still there, it is now gone from the fourth digit of my left hand.  And even the knowledge that it's gone (and why) doesn't stop me from rechecking- just in case I misrembered or dreamt both the real and symbolic reasons for its absence.  But what can one do when she's gone from one's life, but not from one's heart?

1 I was going to call it "Phantom Ring Syndrome" before learning that name is already taken for an entirely different malady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating in this discussion!