Living La Viudez Loca

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Nothing Compared 2 Her

Let's get right at with another installment of (insert drum roll here)... Recent Widower's Reviews®.  For those who have not already guessed it by the post's title, I will be looking at a song by Prince that was popularized by Sinéad Marie Bernadette O’Connor by the name of "Nothing Compares 2 U".
It's been seven hours and fifteen days
Actually, it's been at least twice as long as that for me, but I'll let it pass.

Since you took your love away
Technically true, although I suppose my wife didn't do so voluntarily.

I go out every night and sleep all day
Seeing as I work the graveyard shift, I don't have all that much choice in the matter if I want to keep my job.  "All day", however, is a bit of an exaggeration in regards to the amount of time I sleep.

Since you took your love away
Already responded to this above.

Since you been gone I can do whatever I want
Pretty much within reason.  For example, I haven't mastered flying by simply flapping my arms yet (and I doubt I ever will).  Sometime, I'm going to have to make a list of some of the things I can do now that I could do while my wife was still alive.

I can see whomever I choose
Again, within reason....

I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant
 Not on my budget, I can't, unless you want to use the term "fancy" extremely loosely.

But nothing
I said nothing can take away these blues
However, one might be able to paint over them with the right supplies....

'Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to you her.
There, I fixed it for them.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Considering that "females sing in [only] 71% of songbird species" and still seem to mate anyway, I don't think one could necessarily characterize "a bird without a song" as "lonely".

Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling
I doubt this claim.  I would think that the loss of fluids caused by constant crying would prove fatal eventually, if nothing else.

Tell me baby where did I go wrong
I have related one instance in my own life where I went wrong, so I won't go into that again here.

I could put my arms around every boy I see
But they'd only remind me of you
  1. Not.  Going.  To.  Happen.  Even if I wanted to, I would probably be arrested for pedophilia if I tried.
  2. Furthermore, I see how hugging a boy would remind me of my wife. 

I went to the doctor guess what he told me
Guess what he told me
He said girl you better try to have fun no matter what you do
But he's a fool
Since I had been without health insurance until this past April, I have not had many opportunities to talk to doctors and even when I have, it has been in relation to my wife's health almost every time.  I suppose it's probable that the lady who called me from Hope International Hospice after my wife's death is a doctor, but she's a she, not a he; she didn't call me "girl"; she may have said something like "you better try to have fun no matter what you do" without using those exact words, and what little interaction I did have with her makes me doubt that she is a fool.

'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares to you 
Already addressed this above [taps foot impatiently].

All the flowers that you planted mama
In the back yard
While we don't have a backyard, she did plant some flowers in front of the house.  However...

All died when you went away
... they are still very much alive, thank you.

I know that living with you baby was sometimes hard
But I'm willing to give it another try
Finally, something I can agree with 100%.  Even if one took the worst moment I spent with her, it would still be better than the best moment without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating in this discussion!